Wednesday, June 17, 2009

June 16th and 17th Spending and Creating a Spending Plan

Total spent on the 16th...$0! Woohoo!!!

Total spent on the 17th...$13.49 on groceries. Apparently when I went shopping on Sunday I didn't get some key items for hubby. I asked him if he needed anything, and he only told me one thing, which I got.

This gloomy, rainy weather has gotten me into a funk. I just can't seem to shake that lazy way I've been feeling. It doesn't help that when I get home we have the Wii just asking to be played and before I know it, it's past my bedtime! That's so bad, I know. What can I say, I have an addictive personality.


For those of you married, or living with your significant other, you know how challenging it can be to stay on the same page. I realized the other day that I have been going about it all the wrong way. Hubby was talking about buying something or other, and I said he couldn't because he was out of money already. He asked how he was suppose to know that. Then it dawned on me, I sit down and mess with the spending plan (budget) and know what we have for the month, and what we have already spent. But I don't share it with him. I just assume that since I know, he should know also (thinking about it, I don't know how since it's on my computer).

So here's what I learned:

1. Both persons should have a chance to look over the spending plan (budget) BEFORE it's set. This way you start the month out on the same page, plus with both of you looking over it you may be able to catch a problem area.

2. The spending plan should be readily available for viewing at any given time to both parties. If you know you've spent all your 'fun' money, you'll be less likely to stop and purchase a coffee. You can't plead ignorant if the information is right in front of you. On the other hand, you won't feel guilty if you stop for a treat at the end of the month and know you still have money left.

3. Review last months spending plan together and see where you struggled and where you did excellent. This is a great way to encourage each other, and to pin point your problem areas together. If you do it all yourself, you may get frustrated with your spouse, and they may have no clue that there is a problem.

If you both take on the responsible of creating it together, you will be more likely to stick to it together.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

we struggle because we each thing the other wastes money - him on tobacco on me on a/c (he wants to keep it off, i don't want my house hotter than 80 degrees)

Sarala said...

I do the spending plan for us, and feel like I'm always the one saying we're out of fun money, or do we really need that? :) I tried last month to sit down with my husband and have him look it over with me, but that's super frustrating for him, and didn't end up well. So I'm still searching for that balance of doing it together b/c I really want his imput!

Live Simply- Live Well said...

being on the same page really helps to ward off alot of fights aswell!

Lucy said...

Since I am in charge of the budget, I have started sending DH monthly reports on where we went over, if we came under in any category, any big purchases we bought, and what we saved. It's been really helpful!