Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Frugal February Tip #17

Tip #17 - Limit your trips to the grocery store (or any store). How many times have you run in to grab just one item only to leave with a bag (or two) full of groceries? The less often you go, the less impulse spend.

Be prepared before you. It really helps to make a meal plan for the next week or two, or I know some people who do it monthly. Make a list of all the ingredients you will need for them. Also check to see if any of your staples (milk, OJ, bread, bananas etc.) are running low or out.

Then, only buy what's on your list! It's hard, I know, but if you do it, you will spend much less. If you take a look at the store flyer ahead of time you should know most of the sales, and if something is super good, then put it on the list BEFORE you leave. If you do come across some amazing deal, or remember something that you 'need', finish shopping on your list before you snatch it. This will give you time to think about if you really need it, or just want it because it's in front of you.

I also keep a running total in the corner of my shopping list so I know about how much to expect my bill to be. If I see it pushing the high end I tend to seriously think about my purchases.

2 comments:

Serendipity said...

I am going to start sitting down with the flyers and plan my list according to that and what is in the pantry. I'm loving these grugal tips keep em comin!

Simplelivin' said...

Yay!!! Good luck! thank you :-)