Friday, April 24, 2009

April 23rd Spending and Dave Ramsey

Total spent...$0! Were to busy to spend money! Lol.

The Town Hall for Hope meeting was my first experience with the Mr. Dave Ramsey. I have heard countless people rave about him and couldn't wait to hear him myself. My hubby was kind enough to let me drag him with me, even though he had no clue who Dave is or what he's about. He is an awesome speaker, and if we get any free time hubby and I would love to attend Financial Peace University. The church where we watched the broadcast offers it, and has a new class starting this July. If nothing else, I have his Total Money Makeover book on reserve at the library.

There were a few things that stood out to me while he was talking. The first was how we got comfortable in our life, a little too comfortable as he said and got sloppy. It's so true. When our grandparents were working, they had to work from dawn to dusk, 6 days a week, just to put food on the table. Now we work 9-5, 5 days. Some of us work more, some are accused of being a workaholic because of it. But we work more to support our lifestyle. We don't think about how we are going to get food (at least most of us didn't until the down turn in the economy), we think about how we are going to get new clothes, or a new video game and keep up with the Jone's. We got too comfortable in how we live extravagant lives and as Dave said 'got sloppy.'

The other thing was that in order to succeed, failure had to be an option. Without the possibility of failure we will never push ourselves and strive for our best. This is where I got convicted. He said if you are in a secure job and know that being laid off or fired isn't an option, your not going to push yourself. You're going to get lazy. If you are in a position where a lay off might be right around the corner, you are going to push yourself. You are going to strive to be the best and make the company want to keep you on as an employee.

If you missed it, Money Saving Mom said that Passionate Homemaker has a minute by minute update of meeting.

4 comments:

Live Simply- Live Well said...

I am so glad that you got to go and see Dave. I was not able to go, but my husband and I have been following his Total Money Makeover and it is amazing. He was here in our area a few months ago and we went to his seminar and it was great!
We totally changed our lives and our out look on money. We are working his baby steps and it is going really well.
Get the book and get going on his program because it is great. It is not a get rich quick program, it is just common sense.
Also, you can do financial peace online now. so you might want to check out that on his website

Simplelivin' said...

I just picked up his Total Money Makeover book and his Financial Peace book from the library today! That's awesome that you got to see him live...he's such an amazing speaker.
I will def. have to check out the online university, that sounds like it would work a lot better for us. thanks :-)

Brooke said...

Dave Ramsey would think I was a complete slacker!!

california dreaming said...

One of my roommates from college is reading his financial peace book. She was telling me about some of the things she was learning from it and I have been trying them and even just a few changes have made a huge difference. I have a few of his books on the top of my 'to buy' list but I just haven't gotten around to getting them. I think they are going to have to wait to be summer reading once school gets out