Thursday, March 5, 2009

March 4th Spending

Total spent...$5...for a haircut! Technically the haircut was free, the $5 was for a tip.

I have had long hair my entire life, in fact, for my wedding my hair was almost down to my butt! Right after the wedding though, I donated over 18 inches to locks for love. I fell in love my my shorter hair, but I soon realized that short hair doesn't stay short for very long before you have to get it cut again. That's when I decided that I would grow it out and donate it again. So a year and a half later and I got almost a foot chopped off! It's a little bit shorter than I wanted, but I love it. And, according to hubby I finally look my age! I'm no longer a teenager! lol.

As I got ready this morning, I was trying to figure out whether it's more cost efficient to have short or long hair? I used less than half the amount of shampoo I used too, so that will last me more than twice as long! I hardly even needed to use conditioner. I used a dab of mousse, which I never used before, but I used to use a smoothing serum to reduce fly aways and static. My shower was also a lot shorted because it didn't take 10 minutes to try and suds it all up and rinse it out, so that saves on water and the heating bill. I'm a pretty low maintenance gal and normally just wash and go with both short and long. To maintain a short cut though, you have to get a cut regular, so that would add up, but aside from that, it looks like short might be the more frugal way. What do you think?

3 comments:

Steph said...

Hey! I found your blog and love it!

I think medium-length hair is optimal. Long long hair is timely and uses a lot of water and shampoo. I have had short hair for a while - and it maintain it with cuts can REALLY add up. I'm trying to grow it out to a few inches below the chin - so I'm still not using much shampoo/conditioner - but I don't have to get it cut every 6 weeks either!

Keep up the good saving!

Simplelivin' said...

Thanks for visiting Steph! I agree, medium length is probably the all around best.

Sunflowers said...

I used to have really long hair... like you, down to my butt (I used to get it caught in the backs of chairs at school :p). I cut it in baby-steps (med-length to short to shorter), but I wished I would've donated it!

I agree that short is more frugal, but it is a pain to maintain (hey, that rhymes). I've decided to grow mine out, but I'm in the "in-between" stage and it's driving me crazy... I'm tempted to just chop it off again. :p