Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009 Budget

Almost a full day into the new year, hubby and I decided to take a look at our budget for the next year and make some modifications. I was very excited, until I entered everything into our excel sheet and saw the numbers. I held high expectations, and now we are almost 6.5% over our budget every month. It won't be hard to adjust some numbers and reduce the amount we are paying down on debt, and saving up for the car, but it's depressing.

Working on it wasn't all bad news though. I realized that our expenses only consume 50% of our income, leaving us with the other half for debt and savings. This is awesome because it has been our goal since we got married to live off one income in case something would happen to one of us, and we lost a job, or I got pregnant (hopefully neither are in the near future).

Let's hope we can stick to this one income thing and use the second to try and get ahead financially.

No comments: