Monday, March 15, 2010

Ides of March

Wow we are halfway through March!!! Almost a quarter through 2010! I have no idea where time is going.

Obviously I haven't been on here. I've been busy with work, catching up with friends, my ministry and house hunting.

The joys of house hunting. There aren't may houses around in our price range in our area. We did find one that is at the very top of our price range, but it's also in the high tax area too, so it puts us over what I feel comfortable spending each month. It has a ton of potential (and needs a lot of work to reach it), and could easily be a forever home. It has 4 bedrooms and 2.5 baths on 1.7 acres. Which seems a bit overwhelming to me, but the thought of not having to move again is nice.

Yesterday I had a bit of an emotional day thinking through everything. I got upset that we were 'financially responsible' in paying off all our student loans, because if we had saved most of that money instead, we'd have plenty to put towards a house! (grr...stupid lies) Also, with talking it out with hubby I opened my eyes to the fact that it'll be virtually impossible (ok, not impossibly, but also not the smartest idea) to start having kids and buy a house at the same time. If we buy a house, we'll need both our incomes to pay for it, and unless hubby gets a new job immediately, we won't be able to live off his income so I can't stay home with our babies, but we'll still need to pay someone to take care of them, which will eat up most of my income anyways. Or, if we have a baby and not buy a home, it would be extremely, extremely tight, but we could live off hubby's income in our apartment, but we wouldn't have anything extra to be saving to use as a downpayment and we would be stuck in our apartment with a baby or two for who knows how long. Then I realize that I have been completely selfish through all of this. (Sorry for those of you who aren't religious) I haven't consulted God on what His plans are for me. I've been planning out my own life, and trying to do it on my own, and not following.

So we are going to see the house again this weekend, with some family and hopefully they will help us see if it's a good investment or not.

On an up-note our February budget went well, and so far March is too! Yay! And all the snow is gone!!!! Finally!!! It's been raining for the past 4 days, so it's messy, but there's no snow :-)

3 comments:

Brooke said...

its so easy to get caught up in what we want, what we thing is best. then we tag a "if it isn't your will put a road block on it" prayer.

i admire your budgeting skills. we're actually doing a real budget this month and so far we're sucking at it! :p

Esperanza said...

I am going through something similar. You are right consulting God should always come first. Thanks for the reminder.

Serendipity said...

I like to think of myself as spiritual rather than religious but I do agree with you. Sometimes, we just need to leave it up to God. I mean, we can be proactive with things to a certain point but God has way bigger plans for us a good majority of the time.

Best of luck with your house hunting.

Serendipity