Wednesday, June 3, 2009

June 2nd Spending

Total spent...$0! Again :-)

I love June already. Hubby and I had to run a few errands, and we just kept repeating that we wanted today to be a no spend day. The first place was easy since it's the library and you can take books out for free. Our second stop, not so much, the mall! I received a coupon in the mail from Vicky's for free panties, no strings attached. Well the same coupon also boasted $10 off any purchase. I could have gotten a few more pairs from their clearance bin, but I had to make sure that it equaled $10 exactly because I didn't want to spend. They had their travel size perfume on sale for $10, so I snagged that up and walked out the store with $19 worth of merchandise for free! Yay!

We also walked around the bookstore and a few others since hubby is looking for another part-time job over the summer. Nada. Actually, not quite, apparently our Dollar or Two store is hiring, but that one's pretty ghetto, and it's not like we are in dire need of money. I guess I really didn't realize how bad finding a job has gotten. I always remember at least a few stores at the mall hiring, especially for the summer with all the college kids leaving for home.

I have been reading Dave Ramsey's book Total Money Makeover and finished step 3 and started on step 4 last night. I like Dave, I really do, and I think he makes a lot of great points and love the stories he incorporates into the book. But...I think I prefer Crown Financial Money Map over his baby steps. Their steps are extremely similar, which is affirming in knowing that they are leading us in the correct direction. For where I am at personally the detailed 'destinations' with the money map fit me.

Baby Step 1: Save $1,000 in Emergency Fund
vs
Money Map 1: Save $1,000 in Emergency Fund

Baby Step 2: Pay off ALL debt except house
vs
Money Map 2: Pay off all credit card debt AND save 1 months expense in EF

Baby Step 3: Save 3-6 months expenses in EF
vs
Money Map 3:
Save 3 months expenses in EF AND pay off all consumer debt (auto & student loans)

Baby Step 4: Save 15% of income in retirement
vs
Money Map 4:
Save for major purchase (house, car etc.), AND save for retirement AND start saving for children's college

I haven't read any past that with Dave, so I don't want to go any further, but I love have the Money map has a specific step for starting to save for a house and car (both of which we have to do). That's just my two cent. Has anyone else read anything on Crown Finiancial? What do you think of it?

3 comments:

Sarala said...

I haven't read any of Dave's stuff, but have friends who love him. We've attended a Crown Seminar, and like the money map too. Its hanging on the back of the door in our bedroom for a reminder. :) We are out of debt now, and are working on our savings... I love your tickers!

Serendipity said...

Look at you with your no spend days!

Live Simply- Live Well said...

I am a huge Dave fan! My brother and sister in law went through Crown courses and loved them. So either way you are on the right track!

I like that they both have steps to take that are real and concrete rather than abstract concepts. My husband is a big Dave fan because he feels that because Dave has "been there" as far as debt and hitting bottom, it gives him some credibility.
Either way you are on the right track!
Way to go